And while, yes, I realize that all of you would prefer to be hearing something profound from The Weege right about now, I'm going to try to do my absolute best to fill his shoes today.
In light of his injury, I'll be the pinch hitter. Which could get sticky because JUST FOR THE LIFE OF ME I've never been able to remember the difference between the pinch hitter and the designated hitter, so if truth be told, it's highly possible that I may be the designated hitter without actually being aware of it.
Which is kind of like the fact that I am forever getting the words toothpick and clothespin confused. I assure you that I am more than aware of the difference between the two, and have never actually tried to use one in the place of the other, but it is the WORDS that I always use in the wrong context, not the item.
(Insert deep breath here)
For instance, I might say "Where are the toothpicks? I need to hang some laundry on the line..."
or "Would you like a clothespin to remove that spinach from between your front teeth?"
I tell you it has been a life-long struggle.
Along with the VERY OBVIOUS fact that I tend to overshare /overexplain /overcomplicate things.
Clearly, I have heretofore failed to introduce a specific topic for today's post, and so I will predictably fall back on the age-old standby, The List.
Today's list will be about scents I like. Smells I love. Olfactory sensations that either bring back special memories, or that just make me happy.
It is a widely accepted scientific fact that: When you first smell a new scent, you link it to an event, a person, a thing or even a moment. Your brain forges a link between the smell and a memory.
And although my brain (especially the section in charge of "keeping small wooden household items straight") has it's challenges, I am (I'm not bragging, mind you. Just stating the facts.) quite highly developed in the scents/memory area.
Here goes. (In no particular order)
And without giving away too much that will have you screaming TMI! TMI!, I'll just list the item and a few remarks.
1. Clinique Happy
2. Estee Lauder Pleasures
3. Nina Ricci l'air du Temps-1976
4. Herbal Essence (ORIGINAL GREEN) Shampoo
5. Noxema (ORIGINAL) skin cleanser- in the blue plastic jar, of course.I bought some recently at Wal-Mart just to sniff.
6. Rosemary (the herb)
7. Basil (the herb)
8. Body on Tap Shampoo (Gone forever)
9. A real wood fire.
10. Slatkin's Original Holiday scent candle - you seriously HAVE NOT lived (olfactorily speaking) if you've missed this
11. Vick's Vapo-rub - reminds me of my Mom taking care of me when I was sick as a kid
12. Mentholatum Ointment (same as above)
13. Beer Bread baking
14. Johnson's Baby Shampoo ( my babies after a bath)
15. Freshly mown hay
16. Fresh cut cedar fenceposts (my apologies to you that are currently suffering with allergies and "Cedar Fever!")
17. L'Occitane Citrus Verbena Summer fragrance
18. Aveda Hand Relief
19. Coffee when I wake up and am still in bed (this never happens around here since we don't drink it), but I remember as a kid how wonderful it was when my Mom made an early morning pot of coffee...
20. Bacon cooking-anytime
I'll end it there, although I know I'll think of more...
I haven't heard from some of you in a while - let's remedy that tout de suite!
How about you? Any to add to the list?
Now I shall go tend to Weegie's chicken needs...